Tuesday 30 August 2016

Inferencing

Learning Intention:  
I am learning to answer inference type questions by looking for KEYWORDS and USING THE TEXT and my PRIOR KNOWLEDGE to GATHER THE INFORMATION and to JUSTIFY MY ANSWER.

Read the following passage and answer the questions below using full sentences.  Underline the keywords and justify your answers.

Peter and Ralphie went exploring last Saturday. Peter carried a net and a bag to put specimens in. Ralphie ran ahead and stuck his nose into a bush searching. Peter followed behind bending to grab a small, red and black, winged critter. Peter looked up, held out his hand, and decided to put on his wide brimmed hat and jacket. He tucked the specimen bag under his jacket so it wouldn’t get wet.

When the sun came back out and the clouds moved away, Peter and Ralphie sat down for lunch. Peter had a ham sandwich, and Ralphie had a big, juicy steak bone.

After lunch was finished, the boys trotted on home and observed their new pet. Later that day, the two played catch while the sun set.

Summer was over, and Peter had to get up early the next day.


1. What did Peter and Ralphie go out to collect?
Peter and Ralphie were collecting specimens.
I knew that because the text said that Peter carried a net and a bag to put specimens in.

2. What kind of critter did Peter find?
Peter found a ladybug.
I knew that because I know that a ladybug is a small, red and black, winged critter.


3. Why did Peter put on a hat and jacket?
Peter knew it was raining.
I knew that because the text said that Peter looked up, held out his hand, and decided to put on his wide brimmed hat and jacket. He tucked the specimen bag under his jacket so it wouldn’t get wet.

4. What do you know about Ralphie?
I know that Ralphie is a dog.
I knew that because the text said that Ralphie ran ahead and stuck his nose into a bush searching and later on the text said that Ralphie had a big, juicy steak bone and afterwards the text said that the two played catch while the sun set.

5. Why do you think Peter had to get up early the next day?
Peter had to go to school.
I knew that because the text said that summer was over.



My Reflection
I am learning how to answer and justify inference type questions.  
I found it easy to find the keywords in the text.
Something I could improve on is using the correct verbs.

How I will do that is reading my answers properly.

No comments: